Mike Walsh has moved back to town and has a question for level 3 members:
I believe there is a mailing list for SLRA. If so, can someone ( Heino ?) please send an email out to see if anyone has a parachute that might be ideal for a rocket that weights approximately 30 pounds? I would like to see if someone has one in the area that I could borrow for a static test for my Level 3 attempt. I know there are a few L3 guys in the area so I'm sure they have some good size parachutes and want to find something that fits and will work with my build before I go buying one. Thanks!
Mike doesn't have an account on the site, so please comment on this post if you can help him out.
Thanks to our VP Ken, we have a reservation for July 9th, 2013 at the St. Louis Library Branch: Mid-County Branch
Room: Small Auditorium (MC) for 6:30 PM to 9:00 PM. Thanks for all the suggestions, but this was the easiest answer in the short term. We're finding that other restaurants have fairly high minimum tabs and that will be difficult to achieve with our small group.
I'll update the web site with all the details over the weekend.
Just found out that our monthly meeting spot has closed. We'll need to find a new spot for our July meeting. Any suggestions are welcome.
Here is the article:
A few pictures of our small setup.
Dan Welling indicated late on Friday night that a few members will be at the park around noon with a small setup. The weather is marginal, but currently the launch is still go. With the small setup, plan to arrive closer to noon than later in the day. Our normal schedule would be 12:30 to 5:00 PM, but with a small setup, it is likely to break down earlier than normal.
We had a good meeting yesterday at Growler's with 10 members. Here are some notes from the meeting:
1. We've gotten a letter from the St. Louis Area Boy Scouts Council asking for assistance in an rocket event at our August scheduled Buder Park Launch. After some discussion, we decided as a group to respond that we could accomodate up to 200 scouts on August 17th - assuming the park is available and that there is enough participation from the membership. The scouts may build rockets beforehand or at the event - but that is to be yet determined. This will be discussed at the July meeting.
2. The membership has agreed to allocate $500 from our treasury to purchase an assortment of hats and t-shirts with the SLRA logo for sale to members and to the public. The treasury will recover the costs as the merchandise is sold. We will be using a local shop that has produced quality items in the past and should be better than our Cafe Press Internet experience. Several members expressed interest in polo shirts with an embroidered logo at a higher cost and members will be able to sign up for these also. We intend to have the items available for our July 20th launch at the Science Center. Thanks to Dan Welling and Rob Chapie for looking into possible suppliers.
3. The director of the St Louis Science Center Planetarium, John Lakey, has contacted us to verify that we are still planning to have the launch at the Science Center on July 20th. We have replied yes and John plans to attend our July 9th meeting to discuss details. The membership discussed several ideas and we are going to acquire 50 rocket kits to be sold to the public to be assembled for flight at the launch. We discussed some of the details and are also creating a list of questions for John. We will need the help of the membership for this event and we plan to have separate web site postings to help get a list of volunteers. This is an important public outreach for SLRA and will be a fun celebration of the 44th anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon landing on July 20th 1969 and the 50th anniversary of the McDonnell Planetarium. The launch will be held at the archery field - right next to the planetarium and we will have static displays both inside and outside. All ideas are welcome to make this event successful.
4. Our current treasury balance is $2158.71 and we had our first PayPal dues payment. Heino Pull presented receipts for a year of web service ($114.90 and the domain costs ($13.50) for St. Louis Rocketry.Com.
5. The electric match purchase is almost complete - waiting on payment before the final order is done. Dan Welling is coordinating this purchase.
6. Look for a announcement on the web site for the status of the scheduled Buder Park launch on Saturday, June 15th. I have visited the park and all is well with the fields there. We have not heard much interest (1 interested flier at the meeting) in the upcoming launch, but are working on assessing the weather and to see who can move equipment and help out. Please add a comment to this post if you are interested in flying on Saturday or are willing to help out. It is currently scheduled for 12:30 to 5 PM, but may be curtailed if there isn't enough interest. The current forecast for Saturday is for isolated thunder storms (30% chance of rain), winds up to 15 MPH and 87 degree high.
Please comment on this post if you have any comments or questions.
Next Meeting: SLRA is having our regular monthly meeting on Tuesday
evening, June 11th, at Growler's Pub.
Meeting Event Link
Come for dinner as early as 6:00PM if you wish. The business meeting will start at about 7:00PM.
Growler's Pub is located at 3811 South Lindbergh.
If you're a member of SLRA, the meeting minutes from the May meeting is available here: Meeting Minutes Forum Post
Topics for discussion at the June 2013 Meeting (partial list - filled as items come up).
1. E-Match purchase status
2. June park launch
3. July launch at the Science Center
4. Status of logo shirts/hats etc.
5. Mailing List Shut Down
6. GSLMA meeting
7. Members expenses:
Heino Pull: $13.50 Domain Registration, PHPWebhosting Invoice 12 months at $9.95 = $114.90 (last invoice)
On line and paper membership forms with payments received by mail to be processed by treasurer and president.
If you have any items to cover at the meeting please comment on this post.