Buder Park Launch for July 19, 2014 Has Been Canceled

Even though the weather is going to be great, we did not have enough club members to support the launch tomorrow morning and must cancel. Since these launches must follow the NAR safety code and we must supervise non NAR fliers, we have a minimum number of iinsured club members that must attend and we didn't reach the threshold.

Please do not try to fly at Buder Park individually tomorrow. You will not be insured since there will be no NAR insurance, and the GSLMA leadership and parks department require insurance to fly at Buder. Park rangers do monitor the park and most likely will ask you to leave if you fly in any portion of Buder Park by yourself. The NAR insurance we use will not cover canceled events. Thanks for helping us out and maintaining the clubs relationship (and permission to fly) with GSLMA and St. Louis County Parks and we're very sorry we need to cancel.

Our next scheduled launch will be August 16th and please watch the web site to make sure we have enough club participation and the weather is good.



Tomorrows Park Launch Information

A few members have expressed interest in tomorrows launch.  I posting this to inform other club members if they're interested in coming to the launch.

Several club members are meeting tomorrow at 11:00 am at  Buder Park for a small setup launch.  I'm including Dan Welliings equipment list for the light setup:

It looks like a small number plan to attend so equipment is being kept fairly minimal (no PA, etc.).  I will transfer club equipment needed to Dan Crank tomorrow.  Please advise if you need anything beyond what is listed below.

Launch control box
(3) extension cords
Clip leads
Small rod case (1/8 and 3/16)
(1) 1/4" rod
1010 rail (small rail)
stand for rail
(2) wooden X-pads

Mike is bringing his controller, battery, table, a couple chairs and his launch pad.

Michael Walsh may also attend if I remember correctly  .


Setup at Buder Park depends on the wind direction and will be determined at setup. We need to stay away from the RC field in the south part of the park since there will be aircraft in the air. I'm including a Google map image that I posted earlier in the year for a layout of the field. We setup usually on the very left or right of the field at the border between the soccer fields and the RC field (shown as a hedge row in the middle of the field).

You may be approached by a park ranger.  Please be very courteous and indicate that we are members of St. Louis Rocketry Assocation and are also members of GSLMA who manages the park for the St. Louis County Parks Department.  If there are any questions, indicate that this is a regularly scheduled insured SLRA launch and that we have been allowed access in the past in the areas away from the RC field. Please follow any directions given by the park rangers.


If you have any questions you can email me at heyno@heino.com.


Thanks and have a good launch!


Buder Park Launch for Saturday May 11th Has Been Canceled Due to Weather

We're sorry to announce that the launch at Buder Park for May 11th has to be canceled. A combination of a weather forecast for  too much wind in the wrong direction and standing water make it impossible to find a safe setup location in the park. We share the park with radio control fliers and we have to avoid rocket recovery near the runways.

Buder Park had been closed due to flooding earlier this week and had just reopened.  I had a chance to visit the park today and found that there was standing water still present in multiple locations on either side of the runways.  The wind forecast of 17 mph  or greater from the NW at 1:00 PM tomorrow  (due to a cold front coming in) was the kicker. Our recovery area would either be in water or near the runways for some of our flights. After consulting with the officers and board of directors we agreed that it would not be safe to launch in these conditions.

We had 2 groups of scouts scheduled to attend and we hope we can reschedule to a future launch. We have a meeting next Tuesday and will discuss our schedule again.  We do know that Buder Park has been scheduled by the St. Louis Whirlybirds RC Helicopter club for a 2 day event so next weekend is not available. Please continue to watch the web site for upcoming launch information.